How do I get connected?

Drop by The Hub or the Gilroy Family Resource Center, talk with your social worker (if you have one), or call our ILP at 408.841.4103

How do I know if I am eligible?

You can start by checking out the eligibility information on our services pages:

If you have questions, you can drop by The Hub or the Gilroy Family Resource Center, talk with your social worker (if you have one), call our ILP at 408.841.4103, or call the DFCS at 408-501-6866.

How do I found out how extended foster care works?
How do I know if I am eligible for extended foster care?

According to California’s Extended Foster Care Law, which went into effect in January 2012, the following eligibility criteria apply.

The non-minor must:

  • Be under age 21.
  • Have been under an order of foster care on his or her 18th birthday.
    • This includes youth who were absent without leave on their 18th birthday but maintain a placement order.
  • Have had an open foster care case on or after January 1, 2012.

  • Sign a Voluntary Re-Entry Agreement for Extended Foster Care (SOC163) which documents the young adult’s willingness or agreement to re-enter foster care, followed by resumption of juvenile court jurisdiction.

      • If the youth signs the SOC163, he or she must participate in the filing of a JV-466 petition within 15 days.
  • Be willing to reside in an eligible setting under the placement and care responsibility of DFCS.
  • Immediately participate in one or more of the conditions for participation.
  • Be willing to work collaboratively with DFCS to develop a Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP) within 60 days of re-entry.
  • Agree to report any changes of circumstances relevant to continued eligibility for foster care payments.

For more information, contact your previous social worker or probation officer, Legal Advocates for Youth (LACY) (which has drop-in hours at The Hub), your former ILP case manager, or the DFCS Non-Minor Dependent line (408-472-7288). Or, stop by The Hub or Gilroy Family Resource Center and ask the ILP case manager on duty or other staff.

How do I find out who my case manager is?

If you are not sure who your case manager is, call 408.841.4303. You also can stop by drop-in hours at The Hub or at the Gilroy Family Resource Center and the case manager on duty will help you.

Can I volunteer with ILP or the Hub?

We offer volunteer opportunities for youth and members of the community. Learn more.

Does ILP need donations? How do I make a donation?

Donations to FCS’s ILP allow us to do more for youth in our community. Learn more.

Independent Living Program (ILP)
A program of Family & Children Services
of Silicon Valley
591 N King Road, Ste 1
San Jose, CA 95133
408.841.4303 • info@fcservices.org

Follow Us