Each more, FCS’s ILP partners with more than 600 current and former foster youth in Santa Clara County and acts to empower youth to recognize and build their strengths, build lifelong connections, access resources, gain life skills, and achieve their goals.
Annually, ILP serves close to 600 youth and young adults (unduplicated).
A Few Highlights from Spring 2014:
- In May, FCS’s ILP collaborated with Santa Clara County DFCS, Silicon Valley Children’s Fund, and the Foster Youth Success Initiative (FYSI) to host a Foster Care Awareness event at San Jose City College. Youth visited resource tables, received answers to questions about college and careers, and heard from former foster youth who now are working in a variety of professions.
- In June, FCS’s ILP presented the annual ILP Celebration, held this year at Winchester Mystery House. Youth celebrated the goals they achieved this year and cheered on their peers.
- ILP presented a 5-week housing series focused on budgeting, what landlords seek in tenants, roommates, housing options, and tenants’ rights.
- ILP launched a new life skills curriculum consisting of 15 courses. An average of 30 youth attended each class.
- The Cisco Systems Foundation awarded our ILP a grant to expand nutritional education for youth!
We also invite you to meet some of the youth we serve by reading their stories.